Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I thought mediation is...

It seem s that everyday someone will have somehow misunderstand as to what mediation really is. Day in and day out I have to come up with a easier to understand layman's term, which with every revision gets dumber and dumber.

People seem to think that mediators are their to serve as a debt negotiator - no matter the case. Every time I get into heated negotiations over a debt, for instance, and a client will say, "Well, I thought mediation is when you get me a much better deal." They seem to forget that mediating a litigated case means helping them settle outside of the courtroom. This, in turn, forces me to tell both sides to consider the alternatives and realize what it will cost (since that's the only thing that matter to them) if they do not settle. Garnishments, liens or levies mean nothing; all they care about is how big of a reduction can you get me.

People, I am telling you right now. You have to look at the big picture. This is why as human beings we can see in 3D, so that every aspect of a problem is very clear to us. You should start thinking in 3D as well. And remember, we are here to help you; not to get you off scot free.

For more information, please visit: What to Expect from Mediation?

No comments: