Thursday, August 27, 2009

It's been a while.

I think somewhere around my last post I promised to write more often. Of course, I broke that promise. New policy: Don't make promises you cannot keep.

Case in point - A potential mediation client of mine asked me what kind of guarantee can I give him that the case will get resolved and I answered, zero! He was very surprised that this was my answer, he straight out told me that he would never expect such an unorthodox response. He wanted assurance. Of course the only assurance I can give him is that I would do anything in my power to assist him in settling his dispute, but it seemed like he needed more. I proceeded to tell him that every time you visit a mechanic and he guarantees you that your car will be ready in an hour it rarely is and you leave disappointed. I explained, that I would rather have him be pleasantly surprised than horrible upset. However, he did not budge, he wanted a guarantee and I was not able to promise something I would not be able to deliver.

He might call back or might not, but at least I did not lie about what it is that I was able to achieve for him.

No comments: